*Today, I am dusting off this recipe because it is my friend's bridal shower! Mailed out with the invitation was a recipe card to fill out with a (family) recipe to share. Of course, I wanted my recipe to be vegan, but I DID want it to be one she would actually consider making. This is the one I shared:
THE Best Wacky Cake with Chocolate Glaze
1 1/4 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup warm water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon chocolate extract (optional)
1/3 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon white vinegar or 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
4 tablespoons margarine (I use Earth Balance vegan margarine)
2 tablespoons soymilk or 2 tablespoons almond milk, unsweetened
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly spray a square cake pan (mine's 9x9) with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt with a whisk, making sure it is blended together well.
- In a large measuring cup add the water, vanilla, oil, and vinegar, and whisk to combine.
- Add wet ingredients to the dry and mix batter until blended together well.
- Use a spatula to scrape down the sides if necessary.
- Pour batter into cake pan, place in oven and bake for about 25-30 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean.
- Cool on a rack completely.
- For the glaze: in a small saucepan, bring sugar, margarine, milk, and cocoa to a boil.
- Stir frequently; then reduce heat to a simmer for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and stir for another 5 minutes.
- Add vanilla and almond, if using, stir, and immediately pour onto cake.
- The glaze will begin to dry really quickly, so if it doesn't cover the whole cake (mine usually does) spread the glaze to the edges quickly, before it dries.
- If you like, top with sprinkles, and let cool for a hour.