Friday, September 20, 2013

Farmer's Market Friday!

On Fridays during the Fall, Bon Appetit dining services here on campus hosts a lovely Farmer's Market right in the quad outside of the Bookstore.


Being the veggie lover that I am, I usually head out and buy something; one, because I can always use it, and two, because I want to show support for their event.

Today was extra special because there were samples that I could eat. (The last few weeks had been artisan sausages and local cheese). This week was pea greens from Allen Farm in Westport, MA, a 50 acre farm run by Debbie Barrett.


Debbie's sweet delicate pea greens have become quite well known here in southern New England, and are often found in many restaurants here in Providence.

Today the new Chef de Cuisine, John, was featuring the pea greens in a colorful salad that was making my mouth water. He was even kind enough to make a small batch withOUT the cheese so that I might have a taste!


I am not sure of exact amounts, and I'm never too strict when making up a salad, but you can see all the ingredients here below:


Toss together ingredients above with a generous amount of the fresh pea greens, salt and pepper to taste, and some home made Lemon Vinaigrette.

Basic Lemon Vinaigrette
  • 1/2 cup olive oil
  • 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • 1 tablespoon minced shallot
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
  • 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
  • 1 teaspoon agave
  • Salt and pepper to taste
Whisk together until well combined.


Here is my cheeseless sample on an adorable bamboo bite size plate!  I was so thrilled that Chef took a moment to make up a batch with out the cheese that I bought all the ingredients to make the salad this weekend at home.

Just look at these beautiful carrots:


Thanks again, Bon Appetit, for another great week! Keep up the good work. ^_^

*** Here is my recreation of Chef John's salad at home. This one is the undressed version still in the bowl. It looked a little better on the plate ;)))

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

1 comment:

  1. That's awesome that you have a farmer's market right on campus! And such a cute little salad sample! :)

    ReplyDelete