Thursday, September 5, 2013

Thirsty Thursday ~Margarita~


Thank you, Jojo, for the last minute inspiration!

Looking for that special touch to make your margaritas stand out?  I have found the ultimate secret:  three (3) to four (4) dashes a grapefruit bitters per serving, and prepare to fall in love.  

As you can see, there is no salt on my rim, you don't need it.  The grapefruit bitters give it that special something that, I think, beats a salted rim any day.  I bought the Fee Brothers bitters at a gourmet grocer up in Boston this past Spring, and this had been my favorite use for them so far:

I am bad with measuring my cocktails (I reserve that for my better-half), but if I WERE to measure, it would go something like this:

MARGARITA

2 oz Tequila Blanco
1 oz Triple Sec
3-4 dashes grapefruit bitters
3/4 oz fresh lime juice
1 tsp agave
lime or orange slice (or both) to garnish

If you are fancy, you can use a Boston shaker to mix the ingredients above with ice, and then strain.  I am not fancy, and prefer to pour everything over ice cubes in an Old Fashioned glass, and stir with one of my rainbow swizzle sticks.


As you may notice, there is no sour, acid-reflux, pre-made bottled margaritas here. In our house, we like to use freshly squeezed limes, or make our mix from scratch.  I mentioned in an earlier post that I helped test recipes from Joni Marie Newman's book, Vegan Food Gifts.  I haev to say, she has one FANTASTIC recipe for home made margarita mix, using fresh limes, oranges, and agave.  Do you self a favor and try it out!  If Google books is behaving, I believe you can get a sneak peek of the mixture here.  Let me know what you think ^_^


3 comments:

  1. Hahaha yes, they come already mixed with the booze right inside... Jose Cuervo makes them I believe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yay! I saw your comment on my blog and came over to check it out, great TT post! I've never bought bitters or really put any effort into making cocktails at home but now I want to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked! And, the love for classic cocktails, their history, and how their made is all Lauren ^_^

      Delete