Monday, September 2, 2013

Vegan Parmesan - A Perfect Addition to any Pasta Dish


Photo by Sharon123 @Food.com
Many vegetarians resist making the transition to veganism, finding it hardest to give up CHEESE. If I had a dollar for every time I've heard: "I could totally be vegan... except I could NEVER NOT HAVE CHEEEEESE", which is then usually followed by emphatic nods from everyone within earshot.

Well, fear not, my on-the fence friends! I'll let you in on a secret: Sometimes it's okay just to leave the cheese off.  But, for those times when it's not, you can give this quick and easy recipe a go:


Vegan Parmesan

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup raw slivered almonds
  • 3-4 TBSP Nutritional Yeast (what is this)?
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp lemon zest, optional
Directions:
  1. Combine all ingredients into a blender, or (clean) coffee grinder, and pulse until almonds turn into tiny crumbs.  That's it!
Keep leftovers in a sealed container in your fridge to have on hand for impromptu pasta nights.  I have to say, this version of grated parmesan comes pretty darn close to that nutty, salty bite that grated parmesan, or other hard cheeses give to a dish of pasta. This recipe is great too, because you can make it in seconds right in you kitchen, instead of shelling out 3 times as much for the pre-made shakers of vegan grated cheese they sell in supermarkets or online.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
Photo by Chef Prose @Food.com

9 comments:

  1. I loooove nutty homemade parmesans, everyone's posting about cheesy stuff today and now I need to work out how to add cheese to my kale / quinoa / bean bowl without making it weird!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do you store yours? I always put mine in the fridge but it clumps up and annoys me. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have these 1 cup containers I got at Ikea many years ago. Minimal clumping, but I always shake it to death before I open it ;))

      Delete
  3. I love this stuff! It's also great with toasted walnuts and pine nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Becky!! Hey hun :) Happy VeganMoFo!

    I am going to try this, look yum! And I am so over the fact that cheese holds people back, it's so easy to get the same satisfaction from vegan options!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mandee, my friend! So nice to "see" you here. Hope all is well since Vida Vegan Con! I've been enjoying your beautiful manicure Instagrams :)))))

      Delete
  5. I like to make something very similar to this, but using hemp seeds instead of almonds, and no lemon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, hemp seeds are a great idea! I will have to try that too

      Delete