Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Recipe Urban Legends (Facebook Edition) ~Crack Potatoes~


Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

For those of you on Facebook, I am sure you have seen a few of these "reposts" sneak through your feed from time to time...  I call them Recipe Urban Legends, because they are usually posted with such a sense of urgency, while shrouded in awe and mystery:


~Finally!! I FOUND it! DONT want to lose this again - DON'T be like me! SHARE to save this on your wall!! You won't believe it!!!!!!
NO FLOUR, NO OIL, NO WHITE SUGAR
**SHARE so it will save in your timeline**
✔ Like ✔ “Share” ✔ Tag ✔ Comment ✔ Repost ✔Follow me
To SAVE this , be sure to click SHARE so it will store on your personal page.
SHARE THIS TO YOUR WALL AND U WILL ALWAYS BE ABLE TO FIND IT!! 

Of course, I have yet to see a vegan one.  Maybe they exist.  Who knows? For the most part these recipes are something along the lines of: bacon, ranch, crescent roll, buffalo, biscuit, cheesy, chicken, 1-dish crockpot, casserole. Most of the time, I think to myself, EW who on EARTH would eat this, or better yet, make it for family or guests?  But then sometimes I think, "well, if you swap out a couple things... this could make one fine vegan dish..."

So, for those of you who do not know, I am in my most busiest time at work: University back-to-school.  Think: 12 hour days, six days a week, some pretty intense overtime pay, and hardly a moment to put together a decent, healthy meal.  And, then there is Vegan mofo on top of all that...  

So, as I gazed at 6 lonely potatoes sitting in a bowl on my counter, as well as a lovely sample of Wayfare whole grain bacon-y bits from Vida Vegan Con:
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug



a recipe "urban legend" that passed through my Facebook feed earlier that day came to mind:  

CRACK POTATOES.  The name says it all... or does it?

Either way, I had everything on hand, including leftover vegan ranch dressing that I made up from Joni's mix in Vegan Food Gifts (great book, I tested recipes for it ~ check it out)!


Crack Potatoes - Vegan Style!

*Now, this recipe has been shared up, down, and all over Facebook, but, to give credit where credit is due, the original post and recipe I used is here.  (Apparently, there is a Crack Dip, too...)


Ingredients
3 lb potatoes, washed and cubed
4 Tbsp, butter Earth Balance (I used half this and it was STILL too much. 1T at the most)
1/4 c. Real Bacon Bits Wayfare Vegan Bacon-y Bits
1/4 c. ranch dressing
1/2 c. cheese Daiya Cheddar shreds

Instructions
1. Put potatoes in an 8x8 in glass dish. Put butter on top of potatoes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle bacon bit on top. Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 400 degrees for 1 hour.
2. Take potatoes out of oven and top with ranch dressing and cheese. Stir. Put back in oven until cheese is melted.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
Before baking

Ya know, these weren't half-bad. Not quite the level of "crack" I was expecting, but not too shabby either. I would definitely cut the Earth Balance way back next time, and maybe sprinkle the potatoes with the dried ranch seasoning mix instead. My vegan ranch separated from the heat of the oven before the cheese was melted.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

So, you all may be the judge, and I am curious your thoughts:  Just because a recipe CAN be veganized, should it? ^_^

9 comments:

  1. "NO FLOUR, NO OIL, NO WHITE SUGAR!" This cracked me up. I always look for the recipes that contain all of these ingredients:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha, yea, I do too! It is mostly the paleo diet fans that post those...

      Delete
  2. Oh hells yeah! This looks amazing and if I had anything resembling ranch in he house I'd be making it immediately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you have Joni's book, Vegan Food Gifts?! Her Ranch mix is one of my favorites, that and Sanctuary Dressing in AFR

      Delete
  3. Ah yes, the Facebook reposts. I have a friend who constantly spams everyone with "lo-carb health recipes" that usually consist of 80% cheese. Anyway, your potatoes look delicious! I'm not sure everything "should" be veganized just because it can... the weirdest example of such I can think of is the vegan ortolan: https://sciencegallery.com/edible/taste/vegan-ortolan/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha, "Recipe Urban Legends" -- that's a great name for them; it's so nice to see one being veganized! It looks like it turned out pretty good; I've bookmarked it to try sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lol, I don't think I've ever seen this on FB before. If my family spams me with anything, it's usually emails loaded with hundreds of cute animals which invariably crash my browser.

    Definitely gonna try these potatoes. Veganize ALL the things, I say!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have finally made my own bacon bits. And they are fantastic. I took thee original recipe I found and tweaked it a bit. But am I happy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It just doesn’t get any
    better than seeing the gorgeous “Mrs. Anita Pelaez” over at her and her
    husband “Captain Kutchie’s” place..Some Folks Also Call Him..”The
    KutchMan others call him The Kutchmon!”…Most Just Call Him “The Most
    Interesting Man In The World”….(Anita and Kutchie Pelaez’s Key West, Key
    Lime Pie Factory and Grill)…Just watching the lovely couple baking together all those Yummy
    Key Lime Pies at their Key Lime Pie Factory and Grill in Asheville.
    …It’s always worth the trip to visit them in they’re Historic Key Lime
    Pie Factory and Grill…It should be on everyone’s bucket list for
    sure..And The World’s Best Key Lime Pies!..YUM-YUM-YUM….­­.”Talk About
    World Class” What An Understatement!…….AA­­HHHHH!….The Magic Of The
    Lovely..”Mrs. Anita Pelaez” And Her Delicious Key Lime Pies Baked With
    Pure Love…Always……40 Years And They’re Still Going Strong….

    ….May GOD Continue Blessing “Anita And Kutchie Pelaez” and They’re World
    Famous Key Lime Pie Factory And Grill Where The Personalities, Ovens And
    Smiles Are Always Warm And Inviting. “Kutcharitaville” You’re The Best We Love You!….

    …Now You Know Who Is The Hottest!…And Baby Let Me Tell You, Mrs. Anita Is No Act…She’s The Real Thing Baby!…

    ….Located Near The Biltmore House And Estate…..
    ….Who Could Ask For Anything More?…Anita’s Key Lime Pie…(Hell Yes!)

    ReplyDelete