Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Simple Oven Roasted Potatoes


Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Today's recipe inspiration comes from one of the biggest Food Network MOFOs of them all, Tyler Florence.
I'm kidding... but seriously...
I happened to find his simple, no-fuss recipe for home made oven fries through a random internet search.  They were such a big hit in our house (and by big hit, I mean the two of us ate the entire sheet), that I find I use this basic recipe formula pretty much every time I roast potatoes.

Simple Oven Fries 
by Tyler Florence

Ingredients
  • 2 large russet potatoes, scrubbed and unpeeled, cut in 1/2 lengthwise, and then cut into fourths to make 16 big, fat wedges
  • 1-2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 tsp Kosher salt, and pepper to taste
  • 1-2 tablespoons chopped parsley leaves, fresh or dried (I’ve used both)
  • 1/4 cup Nutritional yeast flakes
Directions
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
Preheat a baking sheet in the hot oven for at least 15 minutes.
While the baking sheet is heating, toss the potatoes with the olive oil and 1 teaspoon salt in a large bowl. 
Then dump the potatoes out onto a baking sheet, spreading to a single layer. 
Roast for 30 to 35 minutes, shaking the pan every now and then, until the potatoes are cooked through, brown and crispy. 
Toss the fries in a big bowl and sprinkle with parsley and nutritional yeast.

I didn't have to change much from the original recipe; I just substituted Nutritional Yeast for the parmesan.  What is so great about this recipe is that it can be easily doubled, and, depending on your mood, you can and add any additional spices or seasonings you prefer.  For example, the batch above, I cut the potatoes into large cubes instead of fries, added some onion and garlic powder, and seasoned salt.

Some other nice additions might be:
paprika (sweet or smoked)
rosemary and sea salt
garlic and crushed red pepper
cumin and coriander
herbs de provence
or, our favorite, OLD BAY!

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug


One secret I do have is that I cook these on a pre-heated stone baking sheet that I got from Pampered Chef a while back.  Their stoneware heats up so nice, and really gives a nice brown crust to anything you might be roasting, especially potatoes.

What are your favorite spice combinations for roasted potatoes?  Please feel free to share because we are always looking for new flavors ^_^

1 comment:

  1. Yum. I have done something similar, but I haven't shaken/stirred the potatoes on the baking sheet before. I like that idea - I'm going to try it.

    ReplyDelete