Saturday, October 6, 2012

Iron Chef Challenge: Beet

I see on the Vegan Mofo website, that there is an Iron Chef Challenge this weekend.  And, what luck, the featured ingredient is BEET!  Now beets are one of my favorite vegetables, but alas, they are my dear, sweet L's Kryptonite.  There is no compromise on this one.  The beautiful beet root, to her, tastes like a lump of moist dirt, recently unearthed from the ground.  She has tried: roasted, sautéed, pickled, raw and juiced, and I give her credit, but she can not get past the intensely "earthy" taste.

So, needless to say, I don't buy beets too often, (or ever, actually)  But, sometimes I sneak just one...

And make juice...

I have read that juicing beets is an acquired taste.  And that drinking too much at once, especially if you are not used to it, can actually make you feel light-headed.  They are packed with a super-rich vitamin and mineral content.  Drinking the raw juice of beets actually allows you to take in vitamins A, B-1, B-2, B-6 and C, as well as folic acid, potassium, calcium, iron and fiber, all at once!  That's quite a kick!  Now I have never eaten a beet raw, so for my first juicing experience, I decided I'd go for just ONE beet (many of the recipes I've seen call for two)...  why chance it, right?

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug


So, we have:

1 beet
greens of one beet, washed well
1 apple
2 carrots
1 1" piece of ginger
1/2 of a lemon

Run through your juicer.  We have an Omega 8006 Juicer, and it is one awesome piece of machinery.  It works wonderfully on greens, as well as harder root vegetables like beets and carrots.

Here is the final product:

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug


Check out that gorgeous color! And, please, don't let this drip on anything!

Now, I don't usually get the "earthy-dirt" taste from beets, but let me tell you, drinking one, straight-up  and RAW, I could definitely get a hint of it.  Fortunately, the sweetness of the apple and carrots balanced it nicely.  And, the lemon (one of my favorite additions to any juice) balanced out the green tops.  I think I will leave the greens out next time, though, and just go for the root.  I did feel just the tiniest bit lightheaded.  Perhaps it was all the amazing vitamins and minerals going straight to my head.  One can only hope...

Have any of you raw juicers out there juiced a beet? And, if so, what did you think?

5 comments:

  1. yep, as wonderful as beets are, the juice gets into everything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm picky about beets too but i like them in a nice juice as long as there's ginger :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I juice beets every morning.
    with apples, kale, carrots & ginger
    they do wonders

    ReplyDelete