Veganized from Gourmet Magazine. These were fan-FREEKIN-tastic! You might remember my Buttermilk Biscuit making post from a few months back. I actually made these for St. Patrick's Day, 2012. They turned out fluffy, flaky and were very simple to make. I used Daiya Vegan Cheddar cheese shreds, and reduced the amount of cheese to 1 cup (instead of 1 1/2, which was in the original recipe). If you want more vegan cheesy goodness, go for it and use the full amount. For me, sometimes a little Daiya goes a long way...
I also used my large cookie scoop from Pampered Chef to make the drop biscuits puffy and even.
SCALLION & CHEDDAR DROP BISCUITS
1 cup almond milk, unsweetened (or unsweetened soy milk)
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons sugar
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons Earth Balance buttery sticks, cold, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 cup vegan cheddar cheese, grated (I use Daiya brand)
4 scallions, finely chopped
- 1. Preheat oven to 450°F.
- 2. Add 1 tsp apple cider vinegar to 1 cup almond milk and set aside to curdle while you measure the dry ingredients.
- 3. Whisk together flour, baking powder, sugar, baking soda, and salt in a bowl, then blend in the Earth Balance with your fingertips or a pasty cutter until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- 4. Stir in the Daiya Cheddar and scallions.
- 5. Add buttermilk and stir until just combined, do not over mix.
- 6. Drop dough in 12 equal mounds about 2 inches apart onto a greased large baking sheet.
- 7. Bake in middle of oven until golden, 18 to 20 minutes.