Saturday, December 17, 2011

Recipe Testing: Yu-Xiang Eggplant (Szechuan Spicy Eggplant)

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
iPhone pic, not the best, but you get the idea!


HOORAY for  trying new ingredients! And, let me tell you, testing for Terry Hope Romero's new international cookbook has really given me the opportunity to try all sorts of ingredients and spices I have never worked with before.

This recipe called for Chinese Garlic Bean Paste, something I had heard of, but certainly never used before.  This condiment is made from fermented black soybeans, garlic, CHILI, and soy sauce.  Conveniently, I have a wonderful Asian Market within walking distance from my house (Asian Market & Video!!) so I was able to find it easily. 

Now, if you know me, you know I like things SPICY, but let me tell you, this Chinese Garlic Bean Paste came darn near close to blowing my head off!!  And, I loved every second of it.

Although not a fan of eggplant, I do see myself making this sauce for a variety of different vegetables and perhaps tofu.  I served mine over ramen noodles, which I thought was quite yummy ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment