Tuesday, November 9, 2010

My Basic Hummus Recipe

I was recently given a food processor! Nothing fancy, but it does the job. ^_^

I have now unleashed a monster, and I can't stop making HUMMUS.

Traditional Hummus
  
Please believe me when I tell you how AMAZING home made hummus tastes compared to store bought brands!  Here's the recipe I use:

Basic Hummus Recipe
1 15 oz can of chickpeas, drained, liquid reserved
1/4 - 1/3 cup tahini
1/2 lemon, juiced.
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp chickpea liquid
1/2 tsp salt, corriander and cumin, or to taste

So, why so heavy on the tahini?  My (ONLY) favorite store bought brand of hummus is SABRA.  In an attempt to recreate this silky creamy goodness, I searched the web for a copycat recipe. I did not actually find one, but I read somewhere that the Sabra brand uses more tahini than most other brands, and that could possibly be the reason why I love it so!

So... add the above list of ingredients to your food processor and blend, blend, BLEND... scraping the sides down as you go. If the tahini-ness scares you, feel free to start off with maybe 2 TBSP- 1/4 cup of tahini, and taste as you go. 


Traditional Hummus


Once you get the basic hummus recipe down, you can experiment with all sorts of flavors:

Add one roasted red pepper:  
Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
Roasted Red Pepper Hummus (bad pic)!
OR... add a handful of chopped scallion and cilantro:

   
Scallion Hummus
Scallion & Cilantro Hummus
Or if you like it SPICY, add a little less tahini, one roasted red pepper and 1/2 jalapeno WITH seeds!
  
Spicy Roasted Red Pepper and Jalapeno Hummus
SPICY - Red Pepper and Jalapeno!
What is your favorite hummus recipe?

5 comments:

  1. Hummus ROCKS! I always have some home made in my fridge.
    :)
    I've tried adding green olives before and red pepper and both were yummy but adding some raw onion is just super yummy!
    Try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tend to eat my hummus out of a big tub from Costco, but I spice it up by adding cumin, paprika, and a pinch of cayenne pepper on top. I also like to drizzle it with a bit of extra-virgin olive oil, too.

    PS The hummus monster can visit my house any time - homemade hummus is always welcome :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love hummus with lots of tahini and garlic. I've never tried making roasted red pepper hummus, but it's always one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thos look sooo good. I love a garlicy hummus the more the better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great. I'm going to have to make myself some.

    ReplyDelete