Monday, August 13, 2012

Black Bean & Corn Salad


Black Bean & Corn Salad

I'm almost ashamed to say this, but I got the idea for this recipe from Guy Fieri's cooking show on Food Network. Being vegan, I can't say that I take too much inspiration from his show, but sometimes I'll put Foot Network on the television while I do other things, and this recipe really caught my eye. I did make a few changes to suit my style and taste. 

What a wonderful mix of flavors this was. The first time I made this, I left out the jalapeños, because they didn't have ANY at the store, and because one of my guests did not like spicy food. BUT, I will most certainly add them back the next time I make this. I also used agave syrup in place of honey, to keep it vegan. 

Black Bean & Corn Salad
2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed 
1 (15 ounce) can corn, drained 
1 large red bell pepper, diced 
1/4 cup red onion, diced 
1/4 cup green onion, diced 
1/4 cup pineapple, diced 
1 tablespoon cilantro leaf, chopped 
1 jalapeno, seeded and minced 
3 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar 
1/2 lime, juiced 
3 tablespoons agave nectar  
1 tablespoon salt 
1 teaspoon black pepper 
1 pinch ground cumin (or more to taste)

Mix all ingredients in a bowl and refrigerate for 1 hour.

Black Bean & Corn Salad

**FYI, Jalapeños do not make this too spicy at all! In fact, the second and third times I've made this the "heat sensitive" people did not even notice they were there! I think they balance the sweet and tanginess of the dressing quite nicely**


I usually make this in the Summer, when corn is fresh and on every corner.  I made it again yesterday to accompany some enchilada casserole, and cilantro-lime rice (Viva Vegan).  My folks are leaving for a four month trip to Italy soon, and I know that Mexican/South West food probably won't be around much over there!  I did not use jalapeño, but rather used a tiny little green bell pepper from Uncle B's garden. ^_^

1 comment:

  1. gorgeous!! i love all the bright colors! how fun!

    ReplyDelete