Sunday, January 29, 2012

Brunchin' It: Potato & Chorizo Home Fries & Tofu Scramble

After working six days in a row, having this weekend off is like a little slice of paradise! What better way to start off a lazy day, than a super huge, yummy breakfast:

Scrambled Tofu with some of my friend, Kathy's, homemade salsa:



Scrambled Tofu with Home Made Salsa

Scrambled tofu is on the breakfast menu quite a bit in our house.  I usually use this Basic Scrambled Tofu recipe as a base, and then flavor accordingly, depending on my mood.    I've listed measurements for the spices below, but in all reality, I do the spices and seasonings "to taste".

  • Basic Breakfast Tofu Scramble
  • 1 (16 ounce) package firm tofu
  • cooking spray
  • teaspoon onion powder
  • tablespoon Dijon or yellow mustard
  • 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • fresh ground white pepper
  • 1-2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
  • tablespoon soy creamer , plain, unsweetened (can use almond or soy milk too)  
  • **The cream or milk adds a nice smooth finish, and allows the spices to coat the tofu evenly.  Especially the turmeric, which gives the scramble a nice, even yellow color
    • Spray non-stick frying generously with cooking spray, and heat over medium.
    • Drain the package of tofu and crumble into the pan. Cook for 3-4 mins, until tofu begins to release some of its water.
    • Add the remaining ingredients (except the creamer) and mix well to combine evenly.
    • Cook for another 10 minutes or so, stirring regularly.
    • When tofu releases most of its water, and begins to firm up, add creamer and mix well.
    • Cook another 1-2 minutes, allowing some of the liquid to evaporate, then remove from heat.
    • Serve with toast
    Most of the time I'll leave the scramble plain, but this week, I had some yummy chorizo sausages from Viva Vegan (chipotle version!) on hand.  I knew I was going to mix the diced chorizo with some potato and onion, so I went with a bit of Mexican spice in the scramble this time.  

    So, we have: Tofu Scramble base, plus some cumin, coriander, a bit more nutritional yeast, and a half cup of Kathy's home made fresh salsa (diced tomato, red, yellow and orange pepper, jalapeƱo and half of a habnero, red onion and lime)!

    And now for the potatoes!  

    Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

    I got some refined coconut oil, and was interested in trying it out.  I saw the gals on Spork Fed Foods making home fried sweet and white potatoes fried on coconut oil.  I usually use olive oil myself, but I thought this might be a nice change.  I put a bit of the coconut oil in my cast iron pan, and fried up my chorizo pieces until they were crispy, then set aside. I added another couple of tsps back to the hot pan, and tossed in about 5 red potatoes, scrubbed and diced, with their skin on and one.  Then I seasoned to taste:  italian seasoning, a bit of garlic powder, a bit more of onion powder, some cumin and coriander, cajun seasoning and paprika.  Toss potatoes with then salt and pepper to taste. 

    Needless to say we were full.  And, skipped lunch... ^_^

    No comments:

    Post a Comment