Sunday, February 12, 2012

Recipe Testing: Coconut Bean Curry (Lobia) & Basic Roti


Back again, with more delicious previews of Terry Hope Romero's International Cookbook, scheduled to be published this Fall.  

Above, we have Coconut Bean Curry (Lobia)  Another winner!  I loved this, and found it has GREAT heat from the cayenne (3/4 t!) which balanced nicely with the cool cream of the coconut milk. A squeeze of lime juice at the end added a perfect bright, fresh flavor. A nice change from tomato based bean curries that I tend to make so often.

Since I ususally don’t have black eyed peas on hand, I used 1 can of chickpeas and 1 can of pintos. No fresh cilantro on hand this time, so I topped with some chopped scallions, because I like some green! I will definitely make this again. The use of canned beans makes this a great weeknight meal. Like another reviewer suggested, I might experiment with adding baby spinach, or maybe some cauliflower next time.

There is nothing like making fresh flat bread. A tender and warm roti, right off the skillet and served alongside your favorite curry is pure paradise!  

I’ve made this recipe twice now (once in the very beginning of the testing process, and then again last week). First time was ok, because I wasn't really sure what I was doing, and used a crappy pan.  The second time was wonderful, after I watched this delightful video on YouTube (below) from Manjula's Kitchen, about kneading and cooking the roti on hot cast iron.  I am a very visual person, and sometimes just reading a description of a cooking technique I've never used before isn't always enough for me.  Please, check out her videos. If you are a lover of authentic vegetarian Indian curry, as I am, I'm sure you will enjoy them immensely! NAMASTE :)


Now for Terry's recipe:  I really liked the mix of wheat and white flour, as I do not usually have atta flour on hand. The only hitch I had, was that the directions under “For Simple Roti” has the heat level listed as "high". I have an electric glass top stove, and my high is HIGH, almost too high to cook anything other than pasta water. So I need to keep my cast iron pan on medium to medium high at the most, or else they burn.

2 comments:

  1. Oh yum, that coconut bean curry sounds excellent. I can't wait for the book to come out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know!! I think everyone is really going to like it!!

    ReplyDelete