This recipe is a deliciously-creamy, vegan version of the popular appetizer. I know you will LOVE this, and your dairy loving guests will have no idea that this wonderful dish is not made with mozzarella, cream cheese or mayo. My dear friend, who is lactose intolerant, did NOT eat the dip at first because she was convinced there was dairy in it. The white beans in this blended with the vegan cream cheese make the perfect non-dairy base for the spinach and artichokes. I guarantee, this will give TGI Friday's version a run for its money!
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can cannellini beans or 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can great northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can artichoke hearts, roughly chopped
- 8 ounces vegan cream cheese (I use Tofutti brand)
- 1/4 cup panko
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup vegan mozzarella cheese (I use Daiya brand) (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Add the drained beans into a food processor and blend until smooth, scraping down the sides as you go.
- Next add the vegan cream cheese to the bean mixture, and blend until both are well combined and creamy.
- In the meantime, heat the olive oil over medium heat in a sautee pan.
- Add onion and cook until nearly translucent.
- Add garlic and cook one minute more until fragrant.
- Add artichokes and spinach and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in bean mixture from the food processor, as well as the panko and nutritional yeast.
- If using the vegan cheese, you may stir it into the dip completely, or sprinkle over the top.
- Cover with foil and cook about 20 minutes.
- Remove foil and cook for 10 or 15 minutes more, until a little browned and heated through.