Another Summer, another beautiful garden in Uncle Bob's back yard. And once again, the zucchinis are a-plenty... and huge. I have already sautéed and juiced my way through one giant zucchini, so I thought I'd try something different.
Zucchini Bread Mini Loaves
(adapted from Joy of Vegan Baking by Colleen Patrick Goudreau)
3 Tbs ground flax seed
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup canola oil
1/2 cup apple sauce, unsweetened
1 Tbs white distilled vinegar
1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 cups grated zucchini (about 1 medium zucchini)
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Lightly grease 4 mini loaf pans.
- I was tempted to use my Kitchen Aid for this, but didn’t feel like hauling it out of the closet.
- So, In a large mixing bowl, vigorously whisk the flax meal and water until thick and creamy, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the apple sauce, oil, vinegar, sugar, and stir.
- Next, add in the zucchini and vanilla.
- In a smaller bowl, combine the all purpose and wheat flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Whisk to combine. Add in the nuts and raisins.
- Stir the dry mixture into the zucchini mixture.
- Divide the batter evenly into the 4 mini loaf pans and bake 45-55 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
These loaves were moist, and full of flavor, with just the right amount of sweet. I did cut way back on the sugar from the original recipe. I halved the amount of oil and replaced it with half unsweetened applesauce. I also thought I'd try replacing some of the white flour with a bit of whole wheat pastry instead. The results were great. I found I had to cook my mini loaves much longer than the original time stated in Colleen's directions, so I adjusted it a bit in my directions above.