Monday, June 3, 2013

Veganize This PDX-Style - The Greatest American "Gyro"


I must say, the sheer abundance of amazing vegan food in the city of Portland is quite impressive. I'd even go as far as to say it is mind-blowing.  I had the pleasure of having two very distinct sandwiches that are predominantly animal based, Gyro Pocket and Crab Cake, and I have to say, I'd stack these vegan versions against the real thing any day. 

Let's begin with my night out at The White Owl Social Club.


This funky, hip new place in town is just over on the East side of the river and was easily found by bus. It was still raining that evening, so I tucked my hair up under my hoodie and headed out!  The "Unofficial" Meet & Greet for Vida Vegan con began at 3:30 and because I had basically skipped lunch in favor of coffee and Voodoo Doughnuts, I was ready for a bite to eat.  I walked in, and saw the "special" board with some sort of Pineapple Mango Rum Punch cocktail (YUM), and "The Greatest American Gyro" made with Greek spiced seitan strips and vegan tzaziki. Whaaat?!? I was sold.  I usually "falafel-it" when I go to Mediterranean sandwich places (East Side Pockets) but, my other-half has had many a GYRO, and I was curious what a vegan version would be like!  
Well, let me tell you, this did not disappoint, and the fries kicked butt, too

One of the not-so-exciting things about going to a conference like this, with out knowing a single person, is walking into an event such as a "meet-and-greet" wondering if anyone will talk to you...  I was fortunate enough to bump into a familiar "online" face right away: my blogger buddy Jojo, aka Vegan in Brighton,  and her lovely pal from down-under, Mandi, aka the Bookish Manicurist. Now we are all Instagram buddies, and can keep up with what we are doing, eating, cooking, traveling to, and painting (nails, that is).

No comments:

Post a Comment