No, seriously...My quest for the perfect vegan cornbread has ended! This simple, no frills recipe has single handedly beat out all other cornbread recipes I've tried to date. It is fantastic!
I want to thank Chef Vino Girl over at Food.com for posting it. I see she received it in an email from Cooks Illustrated, developepd by an 11-year old girl. Apparently, the Blue Ribbon Cornbread winner that year was a VEGAN recipe, too. Even better!
(Recipe with nutritional info. can be found here)
2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
6 tablespoons water
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon table salt
1 cup almond milk, unsweetened
1/4 cup canola oil
- Mix the ground flax and water in a small microwave safe dish, and microwave for 30 second intervals, then whisk until thick ~OR~ (Original Directions): Bring the water to a boil in a small saucepan. Add the ground flax seed, reduce the heat to medium-low, and simmer the ground flax seed in the water for 3 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Set aside. *I was a bum, and didn't want to dirty the extra pan
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt until well-combined.
- Add the ground flax seed mixture, soy milk, and canola oil to the flour mixture.
- Mix just until smooth (do not overmix.)
- Pour mixture into prepared baking pan and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Cool on wire rack 10 minutes; invert cornbread onto wire rack, then turn right side up and continue to cool until warm, about 10 minutes longer.
One taste, and you will see exactly why this recipe is a Blue Ribbon winner. Try it out, and let me know if you think so, too! ^_^