Cookbook Challenge Week 2 - Veganomicon
Now, if you know anything about me at all, you know I'm a hot sauce fiend. I have been meaning to try this recipe for some time now... A. because it's hot sauce B. because it's GLAZED. anything glazed is okay in my book
So, here it is: Triangles of steamed tempeh, marinated in a tangy, spicy liquid, then grilled to perfection. I used my super-cool non-stick grill pan! (aren't the grill marks nice)?
Hot Sauce Glazed TempehBy Isa Chandra Moskowitz (VEGANOMICON)
8 ounce package of tempeh
1/2 cup wine (whatever kind you've got on hand, just nothing sweet, or use vegetable broth and a touch of wine vinegar)
1/4 cup hot sauce
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons soy sauce
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (juice from 1 lemon)
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Bring a pot of water to boil.
- Whisk all marinade ingredients together in a bowl large enough to fit the tempeh slices.
- Cut the tempeh in half width wise then cut each of those squares diagonally to form 4 large triangles. When the water is boiling, add the tempeh, lower the heat and steam for 10 minutes.
- Use tongs to remove the tempeh and then immediately place them in the marinade bowl for 1 hour, flipping them every now again to cover with the marinade.
- Preheat a greased grill pan over medium high heat. Brush lightly with olive oil
- Grill each side for 5 minutes. When the second side is almost done, spoon some of the marinade over the tempeh and let cook for 30 more seconds.
Let's crumble these triangles up, and make something spicy!! (All is never lost... Crazy Casserole to follow...)