Pasta and red sauce can be a quick and easy weeknight meal, but why not try something a bit more interesting.
This version of vegan vodka sauce is so simple to throw together, and lends itself to MANY spice variations, or veggie add-ins!
Pasta alla Vodka - Vegan style
16 ounces whole wheat pasta (I used rotini)
24 ounces tomato sauce
12 1/2 ounces silken tofu
2 ounces almond or soymilk
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
2 ounces vodka or red wine vinegar
salt and pepper, to taste
*If you are using plain tomato puree instead of a sauce, I suggest adding some garlic or garlic powder, Italian seasoning, and a few hits of crushed red pepper.
1. Prepare pasta according to package directions.
2. Meanwhile, heat tomato sauce in a saucepan over low to low-medium heat.
3. Blend tofu, soy milk, and nutritional yeast in blender until smooth. Feel free to also add about a tablespoon of olive oil or additional soy milk, until the consistency is like thick alfredo sauce.
4. Add tofu mixture to the saucepan with the marinara sauce. Stir in vodka or vinegar. Add salt and pepper and any other seasonings you like, to taste. Continue to simmer over low heat until pasta is ready.
5. Toss with drained pasta and enjoy!